The Water Stars were created at the same time the Great Dragon was born. Because their power is the natural opposite of the Dragon Flame, they cannot exist in the same dimension as the two powers would clash and cause chaos throughout the entire dimension. To prevent a catastrophe, a group of ancient wizards came together to gather them and sealed them away. The Water Stars have remained in the Golden Kingdom ever since, where they were guarded by Arcadia, the first fairy in existence.
When Valtor broke out of the Omega Dimension, the Winx Club and the Specialists went to the Golden Kingdom to obtain the Water Stars. Tecna, Stella, and Musa went through the Crystal Labyrinth to get them.
After the Water Stars were obtained, they were used when Valtor attacked Alfea. They were used again to reveal where Cloud Tower stood, and using them brought back the school for witches. They were used once more in the second-to-last battle with Valtor where he captured the Water Stars and turned them against the Winx Club, nearly defeating Bloom. He placed them in the Agador Box but they escaped after Bloom used her Fairy Dust to break the Mark of Valtor from the Agador Box and free all the spells he had stolen, except the Spell of the Elements which was the only Spell Valtor was able to keep with himself.
The current whereabouts of the Water Stars is unknown, but it can be assumed that they were returned to the Golden Kingdom after Valtor's defeat.
- As its elemental opposite, the Water Stars are the only power able to extinguish the Dragon Flame. Since the Dragon Flame is also opposite, it might also have able to extinguish Water Stars energy in right circumstances.
- Only a keeper of the Dragon Flame can activate the Water Stars.
- They also affect Bloom, because they are connected by the Dragon Fire.
- The power of the Water Stars is however not similar to Lord Darkar's power because, though both powers are opposites to the Dragon Fire, both the power of the Water Stars and that of the Dragon are neutral with respect to each other and they both generate energy, while Lord Darkar's power is Evil with respect to the Dragon Fire and it absorbs energy.
- The appearance of the Water Stars the Winx received seems to have been inspired by the powers and outfits of the six fairies, each being inspired from one member.
- The Water Stars appearances are similar to the Sirenix Boxes the Winx received in Season 5. Yet they are much smaller.
- In "The Crystal Labyrinth" only three water stars were given: Tecna's, Musa's and Stella's. However in the following episode, "The Wizard's Challenge", each girl had her own Water Star.